What We Do
In partnership with the Ugandan Ministry of Health, we are working to break the cycle of malnutrition one life at a time, one family at a time, one community at a time. Guided by our comprehensive model of restore, empower, sustain, we provide malnutrition intervention and therapies, education and support in the areas of greatest need in rural Uganda. Our current base of operations is a government health center in the Mayuge District. All services are provided free of charge.
Severe cases of malnutrition with complications requiring intensive medical attention
Children with Severe Acute Malnutrition (SAM) require medical treatment and supervision by medical professionals. These children are admitted along with a mother or caregiver to our Inpatient Therapeutic Care Center housed inside a government health center near their community.
- Here they receive round the clock care from a team of Ugandan Medical Professionals
- All necessary medications, diagnostic testing and treatment is provided
- Therapeutic foods and formulas are given to the child around the clock
- Caregivers help with the care of their child and participate in daily educational classes in the areas of nutrition, general healthcare & hygiene, family planning and agriculture
- A local pastor is on site to offer bible study, worship times and one on one prayer and counseling as desired
Once a level of health is restored and the child can be cared for at home, he or she transitions into outpatient care for continued support and monitoring until the family is fully prepared to manage on their own with a clear nutrition and health plan in place.
Severe cases of malnutrition that can be treated at home
Children with moderate levels of malnutrition can and should be treated in their homes. These children are enrolled in our outpatient program where they are seen every two weeks.
- Here they are evaluated every two weeks by Ugandan medical professionals and their progress is closely monitored
- Any necessary medication and vitamin supplements are provided to be administered at home
- Specially-formulated therapeutic foods, as well as RUTF (Ready to Use Therapeutic Food, eg “Plumpy Nut”) provided through the government are sent home to supplement the family diet
- Parents and caregivers participate in educational classes that teach them about nutrition, basic health & hygiene, family planning and agriculture
- Bible studies are offered with praise and worship as well as one on one prayer and counseling
Once the health of the child has been fully restored and the family has established a nutrition plan and healthy practices in the home they are discharged. We remain available to the family for continued education and provide extended training for VHT’s (Village Health Team) in their immediate area to help break the cycle of malnutrition in their whole community.
What does it look like to break the cycle of malnutrition?
Our Staff and Programs Are Supported by You!
Together, with your help, we can break the cycle of malnutrition in Uganda. Children can fully recover, families can be empowered, and communities can thrive!
Want to hear more?
Sign up for our monthly newsletter and stay up to date with all of the latest SHC news and happenings. We promise, no spam - just amazing stories of God's goodness and love.